Here are a few fun ideas to help make this moment a memory that will last forever:
- Purchase a onesie with a cute, personal message, or a pair of newborn shoes, and leave it somewhere your partner will easily find it.
- Put together a basket of baby essentials and leave it on your doorstep with a message signed by "The Storks". Then tell your partner someone is at the door and get your camera ready!
- Give them a book about pregnancy, like The Birth Partner 5th Edition: A Complete Guide to Childbirth for Dads, Partners, Doulas, and Other Labor Companions, or We're Pregnant! The First Time Dad's Pregnancy Handbook.
- Get a chalk board and write: ___ days until BABY is due!
- Spell it out with pizza toppings.
- Set an extra spot at the dinner table or make a dinner reservation for three and ask the staff to write congratulations in chocolate on a plate.
- Tie a ribbon around your waist with a gift tag hanging off that reads, "We're pregnant!"
- If you have an older child or children, get them involved! Make or purchase "Big Sister" and "Big Brother" t-shirts and have them wear it for a big family reveal.
- Prepare to take a selfie and instead of saying, "cheese", before you snap the picture, say, "We're pregnant!"
- Put a bun in the oven and turn on the timer. When the timer goes off, ask your partner to check on it and see how long it takes for them to figure it out.
- Tell your partner with a fun graphic t-shirt. Find one that says, "Mommy to Be", or "Be Nice to Me, I'm Pregnant". Put it on, waltz on by, and let your t-shirt do all of the talking for you!Sponsored By: Cetaphil®
- If they have a favorite sports team, get a onesie or baby jersey with the team's logo on it and hang it in the closet, or wrap it up like a gift.
- Stick with the classic reveal and simply hand your partner or spouse the positive pregnancy test!
- Plan a movie night and offer up three to four movie suggestions, all pregnancy related. Some options include Neighbors, Nine Months, Knocked Up, Baby Mama, Baby Boom, Look Who's Talking, Storks, What to Expect When You're Expecting, Junior, Three Men and a Baby, and Boss Baby.
- Order a box of diapers and wipes, wait for them to be delivered, and then open the package together.
- Hide the positive pregnancy test somewhere your partner will easily find it. Just remember, if you're using a digital test, hide it within eight hours of taking the test, because the word "pregnant" might disappear within 16-48 hours.
- When it's time for dinner, put your partner's drink in a baby bottle.
- Buy a custom puzzle with the big reveal written on it and then put it together with your partner!
- Write a love letter. In the letter, reveal your pregnancy and list the reasons why you can't wait to raise this bundle of joy with them.
- Play Hangman, with the answer being, "We're pregnant!"
- Empty out your partner's sock drawer, or any drawer, and write a little note, saying, "Reserved for Baby".
- Etsy and Amazon are full of amazing baby reveal options, such as this surprise egg, or these lotto tickets! Surprise your partner with a new color changing coffee mug, or a custom-made mug that says, "We're having a baby!" at the bottom, inside of the cup.
When to Tell Your Partner, Husband, or Spouse You're Pregnant
You should tell your partner or spouse when you feel the timing is right, but timing is everything. (The middle of the night, or right when they walk in the door after a long day at work, is not recommended). And typically, you should tell your partner first, before friends and family.
Just remember, you may not get the response you're hoping for right away, or at all. Your partner may feel overwhelmed, anxious, or stunned. Maybe they don't get it right away, and you have to spell it out for them. Give your partner some time to come to terms with the wonderful news and try to not overthink the details and props.
Just go with your gut and do this your way! Your pregnancy reveal doesn't have to be picture-perfect; but with a little thought and preparation, it can become a treasured memory. Good luck!